Thursday, April 12, 2012

Michael Kimball asks Haneen Alshujairy


Michael Kimball: 
What was it like to be a 13-year-old girl and leaving Baghdad in the midst of a war?

Haneen Alshujairy:  
The leaving part was not the scary part to be honest, the worst part was the nights of the war itself; going to bed not knowing if I'll wake up the next morning or not was the scary part. I was just like you said, thirteen years old, so my imagination took the best of me. You can only imagine the thoughts that were going through my head each time I heard the sound of a bomb going off. The first night I thought we were all going to die and freaked out! like REALLY freaked out!

I remember my mom giving us kids some candy. She gave me Twix, she thought it would help somehow. Funny thing is I still can not eat Twix till this day. Don't think ever will.


+


For Edward Mullany, Paula Bomer, Matthew Simmons, and more, visit:
http://www.falconsonthefloor.com/p/excerpts.html

No comments: